MR- GREEN Transport – Hydrogen safety – physical properties
- Hydrogen’s physical property of buoyancy means that, if not confined, it will disperse into the atmosphere. So ventilation is the primary safety measure to prevent accumulation to a flammable level.
- It’s very lean flammability limit and low energy density means that there is little contained energy in a flammable mixture.
- It’s low radiated heat means that consequential damage from a flame is smaller than damage created by the flame of other gases.
- There are already mature standards used throughout the world for hydrogen.
- For the automotive sector, the EC79/2009 standard governs application of hydrogen as a fuel to road vehicles.
- The ADR regulations cover carriage of dangerous goods including compressed and flammable gas like hydrogen.